Like so many people, I’ve been around the block a few times and have come to the conclusion that loyalty does not pay. Price comparison websites all tell us this, but when it comes to energy suppliers, we are all a bit dubious of changing from what we already have. It seems an age old saying about “better the devil you know than the devil you don’t,” comes into play. Now this post is only my opinion and I hope it helps you to make a decision about costs.
I’m sure you have googled all of this, but Octopus Energy was launched in 2015 and is a British company, a leading UK energy supplier and it currently offers 100% renewable electricity. I have been with this company for a few years now and regardless of anything else, I like the fact that it seems they have me (a customer) and the environment in mind. Also they are constantly in the news about being innovative and bringing out the latest and greatest technologies, making other energy suppliers look old. They have this thing called Kraken, part of it is that if you have an electric car, it allows you to use the car battery to power your house and has the technology to charge the car battery back up, at off-peak times. Also it seems that they are always talking to the government and wanting to do something about green electric and more recently the costs of energy. It seems to me that they were the ones that pushed the subsidies and winter allowances we all benefitted from.
The cost of living subject is a perilous one, we are all feeling the squeeze but the biggest and most worrisome part is that no one can give us an answer as to what will happen in the next few months. All the so called experts have told us prices will come down, but they have risen. Everything that we do feels like an unsafe gamble and no one wants to be locked into a 12 month high tariff contract, that will costs £200 to get out of. If prices are about to fall, most want an easy, untied supply that can be reassessed in a few months time. I believe Octopus has the right idea, with their tracker tariffs, an innovative tariff that can help you save money on your energy bills, and keeps it flexible enough to leave or sign up to a better deal when things hopefully will have settled, this is what I have just signed up to, coming off a 2 year fixed tariff, I am feeling like it is not the right time to just back into a long term commitment.
This year there was a chance to earn points. When energy supply was at its greatest demand, Octopus messaged those that signed up to ask us to use less electric. This was monitored over an hour by the smart meters, and for those of us that used less during that time, we were rewarded with octo-points. These points add up and they can be redeemed for money off your bill. So instead of a company charging us more for having to supply more energy, they asked us to use less and rewarded us for helping them manage the supply chain.
Here are some reasons why you should switch to Octopus Energy:
- 100% renewable electricity: This has to be my top reason. Octopus Energy only uses renewable sources of energy to generate its electricity, including solar, wind, and hydro. This means that you can be sure that your energy is coming from clean and sustainable sources.
- Innovative tariffs: Second, because we all need a little bit of freedom. Octopus Energy offers a variety of innovative tariffs that can help you save money on your energy bills. For example, their Agile tariff tracks the wholesale energy prices and adjusts your bill accordingly, so you can save money by using energy when it’s cheapest.
- Great customer service: Octopus Energy has a reputation for excellent customer service. They have a dedicated team of experts who are always happy to help you with any questions or problems you may have, even Which? agrees.
- Affordable prices: Octopus Energy’s prices are competitive with other energy suppliers. They offer a variety of tariffs to suit different budgets, so you can find one that fits your needs.
If you’re looking for a planet saving, green, affordable, and innovative energy supplier, then I think Octopus Energy is a great choice.
If you need any further coaxing, some additional benefits of switching to Octopus Energy:
- You get a smart meter installed for free. Smart meters help you track your energy usage, with a constant reminder of your daily usage you can make smart decisions and save money on your bills.
- You can earn money back by taking part in their smart trials. These trials come up now and again, so you get to test new ways to use energy more efficiently. For your feedback and effort you can earn money for participating.
- You can split £100 with me for signing up. Affiliation links that you can share with others, so that you can refer people and get some cash back as a thank you! https://share.octopus.energy/sky-sheep-645
- You can get extra chances to win up to £512 every month on their Wheel of Fortune. Everyone likes a chance to win something for nothing. This is a fun way to win money back on your energy bills, log into your account find your meter readings and have a few chances to the spin the wheel (so far I have not got anything but I like the feeling of hope).
What has it been like using Octopus?
As I’ve said I have been a loyal customer of Octopus for a few years now and have seen them grow. What I have been impressed with is their want to help and most importantly, they feel like a very different company to all the other cold and uninspiring energy suppliers. They have made great use of their customer dashboard, allowing customers to login and do virtually anything they need to online and they have thrown in so many goodies to make people feel a bit more than just a customer. The fun graphics, interactive spins of the wheel and an easy understandable layout of the website makes it a joy to use.
As everyone grumbles at cost and profits, all I can say is that is does feel like Octopus has tried their best to look after their customers. Personally I have not felt ripped off by them, instead it does feel like they are trying to manage their business in the most ethical and honest way. Providing they keep doing what they have done, focusing on customers rather than share holders, I can see them wiping all the other energy suppliers from the top spots.
Referrals from Octopus?
I hope this blog post has convinced you to switch to Octopus Energy. Being open and honest, I have not been paid to write this post, so if you do decide to switch please consider using my link, as we will both benefit from splitting the £100 introduction bonus. Plus, once a customer anyone can to earn a referral reward, you get your own referral code to share with your friends and family. If you run a business, it may prove useful to look at swapping your supplier too.
- Click on this link “https://share.octopus.energy/sky-sheep-645“
- Get a quote to see if the switch would make you better off this year.
- Choose a tariff from the options provided
- Make the switch
- Once your account is live, the referral bonus will land in your energy account
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.